Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. Thanks for coming! One day I hope my little piece of internet real estate will be home to lots of family photos, pictures of my scrapbook and card art, with some random thoughts and memories posted on a somewhat regular basis. Mostly my world is very predictable, but occasionally some excitement will find me, so visit often. Who knows what useful (or useless) information you may find here.

cathyb

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Where Does The Time Go?

Seriously.  Where does it go?  I used to hear adults talk about how fast time whizzes by, and I just didn't get it.  Christmas, probably the favorite time of year for kids, seemed to take f-o-r-e-v-e-r to roll around each year, and the time span between your 15th and 16th birthday, while waiting for that magical driver's license, seemed like 20 years.  It is true.  The older you get, the faster it goes.  This past week we celebrated Steve’s mom’s 90th birthday.  90 years.  Just thinking of how the world has changed since she was born is daunting.  Time flies.

Seems like yesterday that my sweet grandchildren were just babies, and only a couple of months ago that I was giving birth to my daughter.  The gray hair and sagging body parts remind me, though, that much time has passed.  The laugh lines around my mouth and my eyes are witness to the joy, the laughter, and the fun that has played such a huge part in the passage of time.  The jeans that are a little too tight remind me of my bountiful blessings at mealtime.  The jeans that are too large remind me that with time and dedication, I have the strength and stamina to get in shape physically, and take better care of myself.  The gray hair reminds me that I am blessed with people I love.  For sure, I wouldn't be worrying myself gray over people who mean nothing to me!   My hectic, sometimes-crazy-busy days remind me that I am fortunate to have a job, and the ability to make extra money with contract jobs on the side.  The weekends that fly by remind me to be grateful for the friends and family who make my life so much richer.  

Sometimes after school, Leyland will come into my office to play.  Just like when her mommy was a little girl, she loves to play *teacher*.  I am transported 20 years back in time as I listen to her.  So much like her mommy. I am amazed at how smart she is, yet how funny.  She *teaches* her class Bible verses, reads them stories, and yesterday she was teaching them about vowels.  A says ahh, E says eeee, I says ihh, O says aohh, and U says uhhh.  One time she asked "Now class, what are your values?"  Oh my.  Seems like only a few days ago I was powdering that little rump and enjoying the feel of her tiny little body sleeping on my chest.  

Likewise, seemingly overnight, Corey has turned from the sweetest, tiniest baby boy ever, into a rambunctious, inquisitive, bright little fella who has captured my heart with those laughing eyes and a smile that lights up the world. He's All Boy.  The baby is gone.  His vocabulary has exploded, and now he's able to carry on a conversation.  I miss those tiny little baby grunts and sweet morning stretches before snuggling back in my arms in search of more slumber. 

My little munchkins are growing up.  My daughter is a beautiful, talented adult.  Time passes.

I have embraced and fully acknowledge my status as a middle-aged, almost-senior-citizen woman.  In 2  1/2 more years, I qualify for the Senior Luncheons at church!  Yes, time passes more quickly now.  Perhaps it has something to do with that over-the-hill thing... everything seems to move faster going downhill than uphill.  

As I prepare for another life-changing event, with lists of things to do, places to go, people to see, time does indeed race by.  The moments spent with the children playing at my feet while I work will cease, once I am married and working from my new home.  I suppose the up side to that is that perhaps my more scheduled time (for lack of a better word) with them can be spent not working, but doing the Greemaw thing.  Lavishing them with my undivided, unhurried attention.  For things like playing outside, baking cookies, sleepovers with Greemaw and Papa Steve, etc.  I'm really looking forward to that.  The down side is that there will be days between visits with no spontaneous hugs, or sticky kisses from sweet little innocent faces.  I will defy the constraints of time to make sure I am with them at every opportunity, so as to remain a constant in their lives, and they in mine. 

There are times when my wedding date seems far, far into the future, and I really want it to hurry up and get here.  I am totally ready for the next phase of my life.  Well, except for the part where I won't see Whitney and the babies every day... I'm really going to miss that.  It chokes me up sometimes.  But, as above, I know it will make the time I do spend with them priceless, and that can only be a good thing.  At other times, it seems like the date is right before me, and there are still things that need to be done.  And time starts racing again.  

Time can be our friend or time can be our enemy.  We just gotta make the best of it.

"Time is a sort of river of passing events, and strong as its current; no sooner is a thing brought to sight than it is swept by and another takes its place, and this, too, will be swept away."  ~Marcus Antoninus

No comments:

Post a Comment