Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. Thanks for coming! One day I hope my little piece of internet real estate will be home to lots of family photos, pictures of my scrapbook and card art, with some random thoughts and memories posted on a somewhat regular basis. Mostly my world is very predictable, but occasionally some excitement will find me, so visit often. Who knows what useful (or useless) information you may find here.

cathyb

Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Great Plague

Is there anyone on the planet who hasn't seen Cecil B. DeMille's version of The Ten Commandments?  Was Charleton Heston the greatest Moses ever, or WHAT!!  (I also loved The Prince of Egypt, the cartoon version of Moses and truly had a religious experience while watching in the theatre.  I'm being serious here.  It was amazing!)  At any rate, you'll remember the scenes involving the plagues brought upon Egypt when Pharoah refused to obey God and "Let My People Go".  There were locusts, frogs, boils, lice, blood, etc. 

Here in the south, we have experienced our own version of Plague for the past week or so.  Pollen.  Of Biblical proportions.  Yesterday's pollen count for Atlanta set a record, at 5,733.

Pollen here, pollen there. 
Pollen, pollen, everywhere. 
In my hair, up my nose,
All around the pollen goes.

Well, okay, so I'm no Dr. Seuss poet, but that's about the gist of it.  Everywhere you look.  In the movie, when the plague of death comes, we see it as a green cloud descending from heaven that permeates the earth. Here in Georgia, if you look toward the horizon, you will see a yellow cloud that almost looks like smoke in the distance.  Little gusts of wind will whip up a little pollen tornado out of nowhere. 

I am one of the fortunate ones not to be bothered with respiratory problems.  I remember a dear friend Julia who suffered terribly every spring with nasty allergies.  I sure hope she is surviving the current onslaught.  Though it doesn't bother my nose, it sure does irritate my eyes.  It feels like there's a coating of sandpaper on the inside of my eyelids.  For those of us not sensitive to the stuff, I wonder what our noses and lungs look like on the inside.  At least the allergic folks sneeze and cough and get the nasty stuff out.  Blech. 

But there is rain forecast for today, and already a few drops have fallen.  I hope it will be a nice, long, adequate rain.  Enough to wash this stuff away.  Not just a small amount that will only serve to make a paste out of the powder.  If the bees are doing their part and transporting the pollen with their sticky little feet, then we should be in for some spectacular blooms, fruits and veggies a little later on.  So come on, rain... shower down on us and wash away our plague!

No comments:

Post a Comment