Welcome to my blog. Thanks for coming! One day I hope my little piece of internet real estate will be home to lots of family photos, pictures of my scrapbook and card art, with some random thoughts and memories posted on a somewhat regular basis. Mostly my world is very predictable, but occasionally some excitement will find me, so visit often. Who knows what useful (or useless) information you may find here.


Thursday, May 7, 2009

My Wonderful Daughter

Oh dear... in the post below where I thanked everyone for pitching in to make my mom's party a success, I failed to mention the hard work of my lovely daughter. As a rule, our home has that "lived-in look". The only problem is, it normally has that "lived-in-by-a-large-family-of-migrant-farm-workers" look, with toys and laundry (dirty and clean) strewn about, and the kitchen seems to have a way of dirtying itself, and keeping its sink full of dishes. Our counter and table tops become the landing zones for whatever objects we are holding when we enter the room, and it's not often you can actually see those surfaces. I won't even tell you about my bathroom. (well, now, my NEW bathroom is spic-and-span, sparkling clean, save for some sorted laundry that I'm currently processing). But the Community Bathroom just down the hallway is usually pretty messy. Not nasty (well sometimes...), but with a toddler in potty training, a constant stream of dirty baby laundry, towels, towels everywhere, it is nearly impossible to keep that room sparkling clean. Most of the time I'd settle for presentable.

Whitney and I had most of the day on Friday, and a good part of Saturday to get our chores done in preparation for the event on Sunday. Normally when we work as a team, especially under pressure, we can get the job(s) done pronto. However, we had ourselves a little trouble getting started, and spent Friday evening working on Michael's scrapbook. Determined to get it finished, I pulled an all-nighter, and didn't make it to bed until after dawn on Saturday morning. I slept a few hours, then got up ready to get the job done. To make a long story short, I'll just say this.... we ended up not doing squat on Saturday except running around picking up things we needed. Even though it was after 2:00 a.m. Sunday morning when we went to bed, the house was still a wreck. Honestly, I considered taking a "before" picture, (just in case we made it to "after", for comparison). So.. talk about PRESSURE on Sunday morning! We got up at 7:00 a.m. and got more work done in one hour than we had done the previous two days. That gal of mine worked like a maniac cleaning and scrubbing, putting away (sometimes hiding behind locked doors) things that didn't belong. She cleaned the kitchen, cleaned the living room, tidied the Princen Room. All the while, the clock ticked onward. Fortunately, Rick and Sherree arrived early enough to get the appetizers started while I took a quick shower and got myself ready.

So, I was terribly remiss in not saying a special Thank You to Whitney for all her hard work. I certainly couldn't have done it without you, Whit!! Now just remember, when I turn 70, you'll have Leyland to help you clean up your house for MY surprise birthday party!!! :-D Love, Mom


  1. We might still be living with you :)

  2. No one would have been able to tell that your house was 'messy' before the party, it looked amazing. The party was really great, too! I'm just sorry you had to work that afternoon.

    The scrapbook, by the way, was about as awesome as they come!