Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. Thanks for coming! One day I hope my little piece of internet real estate will be home to lots of family photos, pictures of my scrapbook and card art, with some random thoughts and memories posted on a somewhat regular basis. Mostly my world is very predictable, but occasionally some excitement will find me, so visit often. Who knows what useful (or useless) information you may find here.

cathyb

Wednesday, November 26, 2008


I try to be mindful every day of the blessings in my life. How fitting it is that we have an actual day marked on our calendar to remind us to stop and be thankful. I suppose some people actually need a reminder. Not so for me. In the back of my mind, somewhere in the subconsciousness of the chaos in my brain, there is always an attitude of gratefulness. (And I'm so thankful for that!!!) Sure, there have been ups and downs in my life, times of darkness and hardship, and I seem to have lost my way at different points in my life. But God has always been my Protector, my Provider, and my Comfortor. I have so much to be thankful for. Yes, it is true that I spend much of my waking hours working, and sometimes it seems unfair that at this point in my life I should have to work so hard. But you know what? For even that I am grateful, on a couple of levels. I am grateful that I have a skill that allows me to work extra accounts from home (in my jammies) instead of being on my feet waiting tables for tips. A skill that, with discipline, is very lucrative, and will help me reach my goals for keeping the electricity turned on as well as retirement planning. I am grateful because being busy keeps me focused on things other than the fact that I am spouseless (which for right now is just how I want it, but I wonder if, as I get older, I will regret being alone). I am grateful for all the contacts I have in the health care arena in my area- which bodes well when looking for extra work. On a personal level, I am thankful for (the usual answer) my family. Just last night I was sitting in the living room with Corey on one leg and Leyland on the other leg, just reveling in all the grandbaby love and thinking that if I don't wake up tomorrow, I will go to bed tonight with a heart so full of love that I know without a doubt, I am most blessed among women. When Leyland turned to me and said "I wub ooo namma", unsolicited, for the very first time, it was a pure slice of heaven. Living so close to my parents (which at one time in my life would have been cause for peril-- haha!) is a special joy that I have truly come to appreciate. I don't see them daily, usually once a week at church is all, but I always talk to them daily, and they're practically just a holler away and we can be there for each other at a moment's notice. I love that. My extended family of aunts, uncles, cousins, in-laws, nieces and nephews is an incredible bunch of folks. The thing I love the most about our crazy clan is that we are a demonstrative bunch, always huggin' and peckin' on the cheek, and never are we afraid or too shy to say I Love You. We say it often. I know of families who just can't say that to each other, even parents to children, children to parents, or siblings to siblings. I can't fathom that. It comes so natural, that sometimes when talking to Whitney's dad, from whom I have been divorced since 1992, sometimes I'll still say, when hanging up, I love you... and we just laugh. I just love not being inhibited, and being able to say I love you to those whom I love. Even my friends. And let me tell you, I have some of the most amazing friends EVER. It is so incredible to have friends who understand the business and craziness of my life- friends who do not make demands, friends who love me just like I am and accept that I don't have hours to chat on the phone every day. But friends who are there for me at a moment's notice and who likewise know that if they need me all they have to do is call. Where would I be without these people who I love so much? And yet again, I am so thankful to be able to tell them so. I am especially thankful for men and women who pledge themselves to our country and are this very day thousands of miles from home. Perhaps enjoying a thanksgiving dinner in a military tent somewhere, but far, far away from the ones they love. Today we can sit at our tables, thank our Lord for our blessings, and enjoy our families, because for hundreds of years these men and women have spent Thanksgiving, Christmas, Mother & Father's Day, etc., crawling in trenches, dodging gunfire, serving on Navy ships, guarding missile sites, enduring all manner of hardships, far away from home. To these people we should forever be grateful. Because of these people, I enjoy the freedom to worship God in the manner of my choosing. And I am grateful to God, most of all, for the grace with which He so freely showers upon me.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!! And remember. If you love someone- tell them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment