Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. Thanks for coming! One day I hope my little piece of internet real estate will be home to lots of family photos, pictures of my scrapbook and card art, with some random thoughts and memories posted on a somewhat regular basis. Mostly my world is very predictable, but occasionally some excitement will find me, so visit often. Who knows what useful (or useless) information you may find here.

cathyb

Friday, November 7, 2008

Vindicated!

Looks like I’m not the only one distressed over the election results. Why, even Barney, the First Dog, is in a bad mood. Did you see that he took a bite out of a reporter’s finger yesterday? There has been much ado with speculation about what kind of puppy the Obamas will bring to the White House. I guess Barney is no happier about the transition than the rest of us non-Obamans. So there- we are vindicated!

Quite frankly, all worries aside, I rather feel that Mr. Obama is in for a much more difficult ride than perhaps he has anticipated. There is the inherent transition period including the top-security briefings, which he is already undergoing, and the (I would imagine) overwhelming realization that he is The President. Add to that the amazing fact that he is a Black President. That’s pretty incredible. I am wondering, though, if he will retain his popularity with black Americans, simply by virtue of his ethnicity. I have no doubt that there are those black Americans who voted for him because he is black. Are these people disillusioned to think that because a black person has been elected to office that it will be Easy Street for blacks? Afros all around and Black Power bumper stickers? Affirmative action in warp speed? Do they think that it's all about the Black Thing? Granted, I'm sure there will perhaps be more attention given to civil rights issues, but even as opposed as I was to his being elected, it's not because I worry that he will promote the Black Power movement such as we saw in the 60s and 70s. I worry far more about national security, health care and the economy. I truly believe that the negative aspects of Obama’s platform will affect blacks and non-blacks equally, and I am afraid that there will be many black people who are going to be disappointed. Does his election further equality and civil rights? Perhaps, in some ways. Perhaps not in others. The day after the election, the internet and text message airways were full of jokes- some of the most racial jokes I have ever heard. How can that possibly be a good thing, when it will likely put many blacks on the defensive, and (rightly so) cause them to cry racism? I have already personally witnessed white people sneaking off in a corner and sharing jokes, looking over their shoulders to see if there's a black person nearby. Is that promoting tolerance and acceptance or is it promoting separatism- even if unintended? If you’ve read my prior posts, there is probably no doubt that I am displeased with the outcome of the election. Not surprised, but displeased nonetheless. For many reasons. Now there is another reason to add to the list. Having a black person in the office of President certainly will give some black children and youngsters someone to aspire to, and perhaps instill a desire to take advantage of their opportunities and know that you truly can achieve your dreams in our great country. On the flip side of that, however, I can see the potential for an attitude “setback” that could take us back several decades. I am hoping that doesn’t happen. I’m hoping that once the dust settles that it will be business as usual. Those so enamored with him will soon learn that he is not All That, and probably (hopefully) many of the promises he made will fall by the wayside. That being said, I am still troubled by the Rev. Wright thing, and wonder if, as President, his MO might be a more clandestine effort to undermine white America and to "G*d &^&# America" as his pastor has so vehemently taught. I suppose only time will tell.

The Bible teaches us to pray for those in authority. The prayer list in my bulletin every Sunday always lists, along with the sick and bereaved in our community, the leaders of our country. I am sad to say that I have been remiss in this call to action- something that I my ownself can personally do- I have failed to do on a consistent basis. If nothing else, perhaps the results of this election will be a helpful reminder to believers to do just that- pray for our President and the members of Congress, the Supreme Court Justices, as well as our state and local governments. I’m still not happy about it, but I can certainly offer my prayers for the protection of our leaders and our country, for the wisdom to govern with integrity, ferocity when necessary, all the while protecting the sanctity of life, and preserving (and improving) our morals. But right now I’m feeling a bit more like Barney. I just want to bite somebody.

No comments:

Post a Comment