Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. Thanks for coming! One day I hope my little piece of internet real estate will be home to lots of family photos, pictures of my scrapbook and card art, with some random thoughts and memories posted on a somewhat regular basis. Mostly my world is very predictable, but occasionally some excitement will find me, so visit often. Who knows what useful (or useless) information you may find here.

cathyb

Monday, December 29, 2008

And So It Begins...

Yesterday was my first full day on the *new* job. (It's not really a new job, I have just transitioned from PT to FT) Wednesday at the office was bittersweet.. the close of one chapter, the opening of a new one. It is always sad to say goodbye to friends and co-workers, but we all decided that we wouldn't say goodbye. I'll be going back to the office on Friday to tie up some loose ends, run some year-end reports and leave additional instructions. I'll drop by from time to time, so we simply decided not to say goobye. Of course, it won't be the same, and I shall miss my friends. It is pretty rare to find a job that you enjoy, and rarer still, I suppose, to walk away from it. My decision to leave the office was not based on any dissatisfaction with the job, rather an attempt to streamline my work hours into a more manageable schedule. I have been a little amused at some reactions from people when they learn about my job changes. Several people have said to me (with great sincerity, which I appreciate), that they are so happy that I'll have an easier job. Truth be known, I will actually be working much harder in the new position. My job at the office was fairly laid back, self paced, with nobody looking over my shoulder. I knew what had to be done, and I did it. Some days it took longer than others, but it was never a back-breaking, high-pressure job, and (though I am ashamed to admit it), there was time for e-mail, Google searches, etc. The new job is more of a sweat-shop mentality. The money is good, but in order to make a lot of money, I have to produce a lot of work. No hourly pay~ no pay for potty time, telephone time, internet play time. Yes, I will pretty much be chained to my desk, smoke pouring from my keyboard and splints on my wrists within six months. But I am so incredibly motivated to work hard for ten hours a day, so that I don't have to work 14-16 hours a day!! I know what those kind people mean to say is that they are happy for me that I won't be working such L-O-N-G hours. And I appreciate their good thoughts. In anticipation of the new beginning, I have been inspired to actually clear off my desk, now that I will be parked here for ten hours a day. I found all manner of missing items underneath the landfill that had formed. I can actually see wood now. Rather veneer. But nonetheless, I can see the desktop. I am breathless with excitement just thinking about the *free* time I will have at the end of my work day- time to clean my room, time to clean the kitchen and bathroom and try out the new steam mop I purchased on Black Friday. (Now how sad is that.. I am excited about cleaning chores!) But after all the chores are done, I wonder what I'll do with all that time. I was off this past Thursday and Friday... and almost didn't know what to do! I reasoned that it was fruitless to try and do any major cleaning, what with all the Christmas Chaos still strewn everywhere. (Santa didn't visit our house until Friday, when Mary got here, so our post-Christmas bedlam has been extended. She is with us until Tuesday.) I can recall only a few rare times when a whole day passed without my working somewhere, in some fashion. Minutes were low at the hospital, and the *regulars* were on duty, so I wasn't needed there. It will take a while to get caught up on all the things I need to get done. After that, it will take yet another while to get accustomed to having my evenings free, and Fridays and Saturdays off. Wooo Hooo!! I think I'm really gonna like this!!! I feel a craft-room retreat lurking on the horizon!!

I promise a Christmas post very soon. I still have photos to scan, but I seem to have misplaced my little scanner. I was hoping to find it hiding among the mystery items on my desk, but that was not to be. I know it's here somewhere. Just bear with me. It will be worth the wait. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment